5. Spinach, chopped and cooked - ½ cup (remove excess water)
6. Chicken, crumbled or shredded - ⅓ cup (must be cooked)
7. Shredded cheddar cheese - ⅓ cup
8. Onion, chopped - 1 small (optional)
9. Bell pepper, chopped - 1 (optional)
10. Diced tomatoes - optional for garnishing
11. Fresh parsley - optional for garnishing
CALORIES: 129 kcal CARBOHYDRATE: 1 g PROTEIN: 10 g FAT: 10 g CHOLESTEROL: 200 mg SODIUM: 220 mg
1. The initial step for making egg muffins is to preheat the oven at 190 degrees celsius. By using cooking spray, coat 6 cups of a muffin tin. If you don’t have a cooking spray, then you can also line cups of a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. The next step is to take a large bowl and crack the six eggs into it. Either use a hand blender or a whisk to blend the eggs until you obtain a smooth consistency. The blending process will take less than a minute.
3. After blending the eggs, add the cooked spinach, cooked and shredded chicken, and shredded cheddar cheese (You can also add other optional ingredients as well) into the blended egg mixture. Stir to mix everything nicely.
4. Last but not least, evenly divide the egg mixture among the six muffin cups.
5. The last step is to bake the egg muffins. Bake these muffins for about 15 to 18 minutes or until the eggs are completely set.
6. Once the eggs are completely set, take the egg muffins out of the oven, and garnish it with diced tomatoes or fresh parsley.
7. Serve these egg muffins immediately or keep it in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
VARIATIONS FOR EGG MUFFINS:
1. PROTEIN VARIATIONS: Shredded or crumbled ham, ground beef, sausage, bolognese.
3. VEGETABLE VARIATIONS: Broccoli, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion.
FOR HOW LONG CAN YOU STORE EGG MUFFINS?
The leftover egg muffins can be stored in the refrigerator for about three to four days, and you can keep the egg muffins in the freezer for up to 2 months.
If you want to reheat the egg muffins, microwave it for about 30 seconds or until they are warm. Having no microwave at home is not a big problem; you can also reheat in an oven too. Reheat egg muffins at 177 degrees celsius for about 5 to 10 minutes.